Are you interested in getting a new desktop or laptop computer? Already got your new device? Interested in recycling your old computers? While phones are quite easy to trade-in, refurbish and recycle, it is a bit more confusing when it comes to computers. Today, Chipheads Computer Repair in Richfield, Minnesota is discussing various tips and steps you should take when it comes to safely and securely getting rid of your old yet still functional computer. Have questions? Need computer repair services? Reach out today, we would be more than happy to help with any of your needs.
Wiping Your Computer Before Recycling
When it comes to recycling your computer, your main concern should be the personal or even business information that they may contain on the harddrive. Properly wiping your device can prevent future owners from having access to your information. We recommend:
- Delete browsing history on your device (passwords, cookies, cache, etc.)
- You should deauthorize any programs that can only be used on one device at a time, this will allow you to reauthorize these programs on another device later.
- Uninstall any programs that contain personal/business information or those that require a subscription.
- Delete any sensitive files that contain personal or business information. There are programs that can help do this for you such as CCleaner or you can use Secure Empty Trash on a Mac device.
- Once the above steps are completed, it is time to wipe your computer. Different computers have different procedures for doing so. This will erase and reinstall the operating system on your computer.
Contact Chipheads Computer Repair in Richfield Today
Are you experiencing problems with your computer? Need help properly wiping your device? Chipheads Computer Repair would be happy to provide you with computer services in Richfield, Minnesota. Reach out today to schedule your appointment with us.